Saturday, September 19, 2009

time to start cleaning up

I hate September. October's even worse. It used to be because somebody in my family either died or had some type of health issue. Now that I'm addicted to gardening, it's because it's the time of year when you start tidying up the garden, the flowers are finished, the first frost hits and takes out a lot of annuals and some perennials.

I spent several hours this afternoon watering .... watering ... and more watering. Did some weeding and cutting back plants. And removing sumachs. Thanks to my next door neighbour. Oh the joy ....

Anyway, I removed the hanging baskets that are under the carport eaves. I'm slowly removing the window box plants as they die. It's a very sad time of year for me. For a lot of people I guess.

I had originally planned on dividing some blue fescue and replanting them elsewhere. I might get that done but I'm not holding my breath. It depends on how the next couple of weekends go. We're going away for Thanksgiving which we don't usually do. I'm usually around, working outside, closing up the gardens. But I have a couple of days off in October ... one for my mammogram follow up and one with my hubby.

But it was a beautiful day today and tomorrow should be even better. So I'll be back outside and weeding, watering and cutting back. Enjoy the great day!

1 comment:

  1. As the anti-gardener (I think plastic plants try to do themselves in when I draw near) I have always ADORED October...

    The smell of the season changing, the wind, the colours, and hey October also contains the almighty Thanksgiving as well as Halloween and my bday as well as T's bday.

    So we will try to enjoy it more to help balance out your dislike of it.

    What are friends for, eh?

    ;>

    ReplyDelete