Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yes, I'm still here ...

I know, I haven't posted in almost a month. I can't believe it. Not that there hasn't been much going on in the garden but I haven't been doing much in the garden.

I kinda made up for it this past weekend. 9 bags of yard waste and probably another 4 or 5 to go this weekend before they pick up. The weeds got WAY ahead of me and a lot of my plants have finished flowering and need to be cut back.

I discovered that Japanese Blood Grass, which is supposed to only grow to about 18 inches, develops 5 foot high shoots with seed heads. Not a good look for a suburban front yard. So I cut the seed shoots,, we're back to about 18 inches and it looks great.

Lots of planning, moving, sharing, etc. to do. Word of caution. DO NOT PLANT CATMINT UNLESS YOU HAVE LOTS OF ROOM! OMG! I started with 3 little plants for a few years ago. I could probably have covered about an acre by now if I hadn't dug most of it up, and I still have WAY more than what I want or need. Yeesh. I know, the word "mint" is part of the name. But I love how long it blooms, it's a mid-sized plant, hardy as all get out.... After the first good rain, I will start digging out the catmint ... and the anemones. I have this amazing ability to pick the invasive plants that just won't die. Oh yeah, yuccas ... there's a reason they're called yucca.....

We had a perfect weekend, 25 degrees celcius (sp??), light breeze, full on sun ... and a beautiful day today too.

Got lots to do before SYTYCDC starts in 90 minutes. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment